Processing Time

Tax Return Value

Time to claim

Processing Cost


claiming your j1 tax online

The 2007 individual federal income tax rates are between 10% and 35%, depending on income and family status.

Health Insurance with J1

If you hold a J-1 visa, you are required to have health insurance that meets the minimum criteria set forth by the Department of State. Those criteria are:
  1. Minimum coverage of (a) medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness (b) repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500 and (c) expenses associated with medical evaluation in the amount of $10,000.
  2. A policy secured to fulfil the insurance requirements shall not have a deductible that exceeds $500 per accident or illness and must meet other standards specified in the regulations.
  3. Exchange visitors must maintain the required insurance during the duration of their program.
  4. J1 and Tax

    J-1 students do not need to pay Unemployment or Social Security taxes (known as FICA and FUTA taxes, respectively), you are advised to withhold some of your earnings to cover the taxes for which you are responsible. If you have been in the US in the last four years then you can start to claim your j1 tax returns, by going here.